Who remembers Art Linkletter’s television show, “Kids say the Darndest Things?” It’s true! Kids DO say the darndest things! I know we all have stories about the cutest things our kids or grandkids have said. There have been so many times when I have wanted to share some of the things that my 3 1/2 year old grandson, Owen, has said, but another thing that is true is that no one else thinks our grandkids are as cute or as funny as we think they are…. so I’ve hesitated.
But today I can’t resist. Monday and Tuesday of this week, I took care of Ella (19 months) and Owen all day and evening. It was entertaining to hear the things Owen had to say. I’ll share just a few:
- Owen to Mommy: (holding up one finger as if to make a point) SHHHHHH!!!!!
- Mommy: Owen, did you just shush me?
- Owen: Yes, I can’t hear the video that Grandma made for me.
- Mommy: Owen, you don’t shush Mommy.
- Owen: (after a few minutes hesitation) Okay, then will you please use your Quiet Voice?
I took the kids to PetSmart to look at the puppies. (Just trying to find fun things to occupy our time!) As I was pulling out of the parking lot, a car was coming to my right. If I had been by myself, I could and would have safely pulled out ahead of him. But with my precious cargo in the car, I was being extra careful, so just decided to wait until the car passed. The car behind us honked at me, but I waited until the other car had passed by.
- Owen: Grandma, why did that car honk?
- Me: He wanted me to go.
- Owen: But you did go.
- Me: Yes, but I didn’t go fast enough for him.
- Owen: Well, that’s silly. We would have gone fast if we were on a RACE TRACK.
(True. I think that comment came from the fact that we had been playing with his cars and race track earlier that day; but somehow I felt he was defending my actions – and even though he’s just 3 1/2, it felt good!)
But my favorite:
Owen was on the floor playing with his cars, and I was laying on the floor next to him. My friend Diane had created a JibJab movie for Owen in which Owen took on the character of multiple cartoon characters and we were talking about each character: Spider Man, the Hulk, etc.
- Me: I don’t know all of the characters in that movie.
- Owen: I do!
- Me: Well… do you know Casper the Friendly Ghost?
- Owen: No, but I’d like to meet him someday.
So I quickly grabbed my laptop and went to You-Tube. I introduced Owen to Casper the Friendly Ghost. And he liked him.
Do you have funny stories or comments from your kids or grandkids that you are holding onto? Please share! We all need to laugh, no matter whether it’s our own child/grandchild or not.